Thursday, June 11, 2015

Saying Goodbye to an old Friend....


Since our decision to move, we decided it would be a good idea to go ahead and sell my car. We went back and forth with the idea of getting rid of it or keeping it. We have another car that is newer and a little nicer than mine, but it has always been very convenient to have two cars. Well, sometimes convenience isn't the best choice.

I've had this 98' Saturn since March of 2009. I bought it from the original owner. It was not my first car. You see, I got in a wreck with my first car and was given quite a bit of money for it since it was totaled. Instead of using it all I tried to find a car under the amount I was given and found this one on Craigslist for $2200. The really nice guy came down to $1900 for me. It was his daughter's car and in good condition other than minor cosmetic paint chippings from a fender bender. All in all, in was a great buy. Other than maintenance, it never gave me problems. I put about 80,000 miles on it in 6 years which means it got ridiculously good gas mileage.

When we sold it, it really was like saying goodbye to an old, faithful friend. I'm really not an outwardly emotional person so I didn't cry, but since there were so many memories attached to this car, I wanted to. Kyle walked me to this car while we were dating. If it were not for this car, I probably wouldn't have made it through college. I've let several people borrow this car when I didn't need it and it helped them. One time a friend of mine was driving (I don't know why exactly) and somehow we ended up stuck in a ditch from doing a 3 point turn and backing up too far. We were stuck and a truck full of 20 Mexicans and another truck of rednecks pushed us out. It was absolutely hilarious. I was laughing as I called a friend to ask to help us and said, "Oh never mind (giggling as I speak) I think we got it taken care of."

It's pretty amazing how the Lord protected me in this car. It's like driving a go-cart since it is so light. It's been driven in heavy rain and snow, up and down mountains and highways. I know it seems silly but it really made me think of all the times I complained about it and I should have been more grateful. It sold to a single mom who really desperately needed a car. I'm glad someone will get some use out of it. Ultimately, I bought it for $1900 and we sold it for $1,000 so I paid $900 for it. Again, it lasted me 6 years. There were so many times I thought why in the world do I still have this purple mobile at 25 years old when everyone else I know is driving a nicer car! All I can say now is Praise the Lord for His goodness. He knew what was good for me then and He knows what is good for me now.

Goodbye old Saturn. Hope you enjoy your new home. :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment